Sunday, February 20, 2011

We will yet have Miltons and Shakespeares of our own

Lately I have been reading about the Whitney Literary Awards, and have decided to add that to my vision board. One of my goals is to be nominated for this award sometime in my life. You need to be an LDS author to qualify. This award was named after Orson F. Whitney, who was an author and poet. In 1988 he gave a speech entitled, Home Literature, where he said:

"We will yet have Miltons and Shakespeares of our own. God's ammunition is not exhausted. His brightest spirits are held in reserve for the latter times. In God's name and by his help we will build up a literature whose top shall touch heaven, though its foundations may now be low in earth."

By no means do I feel I compare to most authors now or past authors, most times I actually feel inferior and so insignificant. However, I truly feel that I am meant to write this story. I also would hate to hear anyone else say that they feel unqualified or not as talented as someone else. If you have a love for writing, then write. You are one of those "bright spirits" that Orson F. Whitney was talking about. I am one of those "bright spirits", even though I may not feel like it all the time.

I need to focus on my little successes in this journey to help from getting overwhelmed. I am pleased to say that I have completely finished the epilogue and first chapter to my novel, and I am starting chapter two. This chapter is one of the most important chapters to me, where a very special character in the novel is introduced. I just hope that I can do it justice to how I picture it in my head.

Hopefully in the next few days I will be writing about how I have completed chapter two, focus and discipline is the key. And so far things are progressing nicely!

No comments:

Post a Comment