Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Plotting, plotting, and some more plotting

I just read this amazing quote by Willa Cather, the famed novelist of the early twentieth century that said, "There are only two or three human stories, and they go on repeating themselves as fiercely as if they had never happened before."  Stories don't need to be completely original, they just need a little twist, something fresh.  I have that!

I believe I am almost done hashing out my plot and creating an outline for my novel. The other day I was cleaning my house and listening to some music (a lot of my inspiration comes while I am listening to music) and all of the sudden a certain part of my plot that had been foggy at best, sorted itself out in my mind. Answers to questions I had been asking myself for the past few weeks came to me. I am so relieved because these few new details have made my original plot more rich and believable, where I feel even more people can related to it.

I have decided to try to listen to music while I am writing certain scenes and planning others to help inspire and create more emotion.  I like to visualize my scenes in my head like I were watching a movie, and you can't visualize a movie scene without hearing music play in the background.  The music is what creates most of the emotion you are feeling while you watch.  So I hope doing this will help with my writing. If anyone is curious as to which songs I was listening to during certain scenes I will be able to tell them. And I am open to any suggestions, whether it be an artist or specific song.

No comments:

Post a Comment